Crazy delicious Apple Pie Coffee Cake has a tender yellow cake base, gooey apple pie filling, crunchy cinnamon streusel topping, and sweet powdered sugar glaze. It's the perfect dessert, breakfast, and coffee break treat.
My husband has declared Apple Pie Coffee Cake not only the best coffee cake recipe, but THE BEST thing I have ever made (!!).
This apple cinnamon coffee cake recipe is like a glorious combination of Dutch apple pie and sour cream coffee cake. It has layers of soft, moist yellow cake, gooey apple filling, cinnamon brown sugar crumble topping, and a sweet, simple glaze.
The best part? This apple crumb cake starts with a boxed cake mix and canned apple pie filling -- so easy!!
Why You're Going to Love This
- Perfect holiday dessert or Christmas morning breakfast cake
- Delicious coffee cake from a cake mix that tastes like homemade
- Incredibly moist cake with gooey apple pie filling
- Easy coffee cake recipe with simple ingredients
Box of yellow cake mix. Go ahead and ignore the directions on the box.
Sour cream. Sour cream makes the cake moist and rich.
Apple pie filling. Two full cans of apple filling create a gooey apple pie layer in the middle of the cake. You can use store-bought canned pie filling or homemade apple pie filling.
Cake mix. You can use any kind of box cake mix in this delicious recipe like white or spice cake mix.
Spices. Spice up the box of yellow or white cake mix with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice or apple pie spice.
Pie filling. Try an apple cherry coffee cake with one can of apple pie filling and one can of cherry pie filling.
Glaze. Change up the glaze ingredients and make a maple glaze. Just swap out the milk for a little maple syrup.
How to Make Coffee Cake Using Cake Mix and Apple Pie Filling
Step 1: In a large bowl, mix the dry cake mix, melted butter, egg, and sour cream with an electric mixer on medium speed for two minutes. The batter will be quite thick and sticky.
Step 2: Pour the cake batter into a baking dish and spread it into the pan with a metal offset spatula or a silicone spatula sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes.
Step 3: While the cake bakes, combine the flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the cubed butter and cut it into the mixture using a pastry blender, two knives, or clean hands until you get pea-sized buttery crumbs.
Step 4: Spoon the apple pie filling on top of the cake.
Step 5: Sprinkle the cinnamon streusel evenly over the entire surface of the apple layer.
Step 6: Bake at 350 for 60-65 minutes or until the crumb topping is golden brown and the center of the cake is baked through. Place the cake on a wire baking rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
Step 7: Place the powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Add the milk, starting with one tablespoon, adding more until it reaches drizzling consistency. I usually end up adding two tablespoons.
Step 8: Drizzle the icing on top of the cake. Serve apple coffee cake warm, room temperature, or cold, with a warm cup of coffee and maybe even a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- If you add too much milk to the glaze, just add a little more confectioners' sugar until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Keep the butter in the refrigerator until it's time to make the streusel. Cold butter keeps the texture crumbly.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and set and no longer appears wet in the center. Internal temperature should read 205-210 on a digital instant read thermometer.
Store leftover cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Warm in the microwave in 15-second increments.
Can I make this coffee cake ahead of time?
Yes. Yellow cake mix coffee cake is a great recipe to make a day or two ahead of time. For best results, store the cooled cake covered in the refrigerator and add the glaze before serving.
Yes. Freeze apple coffee cake wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and a freezer-safe container or double layer of foil. Thaw in the refrigerator.
No. A typical sour cream coffee cake does not have caffeine. However, if the coffee cake is flavored with chocolate, tea, or espresso, then it could have caffeine.
Let's Stay in Touch
Easy Apple Pie Coffee Cake
Apple Coffee Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix, 15.25 oz.
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cans apple pie filling, 21 oz. cans
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1 cup flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter cut into cubes
Powdered Sugar Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
- Make the cake. In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, melted butter, egg, and sour cream for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and evenly spread it into the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Make the streusel topping. While the cake is baking, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the cubed butter. Cut the butter into the mixture with two knives, a pastry blender, or clean hands until it becomes pea-sized crumbs.
- Spoon the apple pie filling evenly on top of the cake. Sprinkle the streusel over the apples.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until the cake is baked through. Place the cake on a wire rack to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Make the icing. Place the powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Add the milk one tablespoon at a time until it reaches drizzling consistency, about 2 tablespoons. Drizzle the icing over the coffee cake. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.